Our mission is to be a world-class air facility serving our community, region, aviation, business and industrial base, and be recognized by these groups as a viable asset.
Located twelve nautical miles south of Nashville Airport, Smyrna Airport is the "reliever" airport for Nashville. With more than 1,700 acres, Smyrna Airport is the third largest airport in Tennessee and the busiest general aviation airport in Tennessee. Smyrna Airport users have, within ten miles, access to rail and three interstate systems which bisect Middle Tennessee. Smyrna Airport is located in the geographic center of Tennessee and more importantly the center of the eastern United States. Eighty percent of the United States population lives within a 700- mile radius of Smyrna. These factors influence the tremendous growth and ongoing location of industry in the Smyrna area.
Smyrna Airport is designated a General Aviation/Reliever Airport, certificated by the FAA as a Part 139 Class IV airport. A Public Safety Department staffed round the clock provides police, fire and emergency medical services. The primary runway is 8,037 feet long and is equipped with an Instrument Landing System, and the second runway is 5,546 feet long. The airfield is equipped with a complete lighting system with intensity sensitive runway lighting. The Air Traffic Control Tower operates 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., seven days per week.
Smyrna Airport currently operates as a joint use facility with the Tennessee Army National Guard. The airport also serves as a military flight training facility as well as a hurricane evacuation point for military bases along the Gulf and East Coasts.
Smyrna Airport's size, location, and facilities make it attractive for training purposes.
Airport Terminal & Business Center
Situated on the western side of the Smyrna Airport, the facility is adjacent to the beautiful 27-hole Smyrna Municipal Golf Course and the Smyrna Town Centre Fitness Facility. Within minutes of Percy Priest Lake, users also will find they're only a short drive from the Metropolitan Nashville area. Flanked on each side by Fixed Base Operators, the Complex is designed to cater to the Private/Corporate aviation market. The Airport Authority office and conference rooms are located in the Terminal.
The 1,700-acre Airport owns twenty-two aircraft hangars and/or commercial office buildings. Together, the Airport, the Tennessee Department of Transportation Division of Aeronautics and the Federal Aviation Administration have expended more than $22 million on infrastructure improvements since 1991.
Today more than 1,000 people, including National Guard personnel, work at Smyrna Airport. Two Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) provide reception/lounge areas for air arrivals/departures and private, charter and corporate aircraft services, and flight training. Aircraft structural repair, avionics work, and airframe and power plant maintenance for the single engine rotorcraft to large transport jets, can be found at Smyrna Airport.
The Smyrna Airport operates under a Master Airport Plan approved by the Federal Aviation Administration. The Airport management staff is charged with implementing strategy to carry out the Master Plan. These projects target development that will increase capacity of the transportation system in the Middle Tennessee area. A major thrust of this development is the modern Airport Business Park under development on the western side of the Airport.
Smyrna Airport was constructed in 1942 and originally was home to the Army Air Force Combat Crew School which trained troops to fly the B-24 and B-17 aircraft. The base was deactivated at the end of World War II, and then reactivated in 1948 by the newly organized United States Air Force. Smyrna Airport, which became known as Sewart Air Force Base in 1950, served various Troop Carrier Wings until 1970 when the base was again deactivated and transferred to a civilian operation.
The Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority assumed control until May 15, 1991, at which time the property was transferred to the Smyrna/Rutherford County Airport Authority. The Airport Authority then began operation Rebuild/Renew which was designed to renovate the vintage air base and increase the economic base of the community as well as carry the Airport and surrounding transportation system into the 21st Century.
Smyrna Airport is owned by both the Town of Smyrna, with 40 percent ownership, and the County of Rutherford, with 60 percent ownership, and is governed by the Smyrna/Rutherford County Airport Authority.
The Airport Authority is composed of five members who are appointed to administer, operate and otherwise manage the Smyrna Airport and to carry out its mission. Two members are appointed by the Town of Smyrna Board of Commissioners upon being nominated by the Mayor of Smyrna. Two members are appointed by the Rutherford County Commissioners upon nomination by the Rutherford County Executive. One member is recommended by the Mayor of LaVergne, and approved by the Town of Smyrna Board of Commissioners and Rutherford County Commissioners. Members serve a five-year term and meet monthly on the second Wednesday.
Awards and Memberships
- Recipient Red Carpet Award from TN Department of Transportation/Aeronautics Division
- Recipient, "Airport of the Year" from TN Department of Transportation, Aeronautics Division
- Recipient of the "Most Improved Airport" from the Tennessee Department of Transportation/Aeronautics Division
- Recipient, "Governors Silver Star award" from TN Department of Transportation, Aeronautics Division
- Recipient, "Governing Body of the Year" from TN Department of Transportation, Aeronautics Division
- Member, TN Aviation Association
- Member, Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce
For more information about General Aviation: www.gaservingamerica.org